If you happen to plan to work or research in Japan, it is best to get hold of a visa earlier than touring to Japan. Japanese visas are issued by the Ministry of International Affairs of Japan (MOFA) by the Japanese embassies and consulates in your house nation. MOFA maintains a complete information to visas on its web site.
Your employer or college in Japan will most definitely give you a “Certificates of Eligibility.” It is a doc issued by the Ministry of Justice, which exhibits that you’ve got fulfilled the authorized standards to acquire permission to enter Japan. The certificates doesn’t entitle you to enter Japan. As a substitute, it expedites the method of acquiring a visa and acquiring touchdown permission upon your arrival.
After you have a Certificates of Eligibility, you may present it to your nearest Japanese embassy or consulate, together with a visa software kind and your passport. Visas are often issued inside just a few enterprise days, until there may be an apparent drawback with the Certificates of Eligibility: in that case, the embassy must contact the Ministry of Justice in Tokyo, which can delay the visa software.
If you happen to do not need a Certificates of Eligibility, it’s essential to submit further documentation to the embassy with a purpose to get hold of a visa. The required documentation varies primarily based on which kind of visa you search. The MOFA information to visas accommodates an entire checklist of required paperwork[dead link].
When you enter Japan, the Ministry of Justice will grant you “touchdown permission” to have interaction within the actions offered for by your visa. At this level, any points relating to the legality of your keep in Japan can be dealt with by the Immigration Bureau, which is a unit of the Ministry of Justice.
Working vacation program
As of June 2016, individuals in 15 nations/areas can benefit from Japan’s working vacation programme.
These nations/areas embody (the numbers in brackets are the utmost numbers visa could possibly be issued per 12 months):
|Australia (No restrict)||Canada (6500)||Denmark (2007)||France (1500)||Germany (No restrict)|
|Hong Kong (250)||Eire (400)||South Korea (10000)||New Zealand (No restrict)||Norway (No restrict)|
|Poland (500)||Portugal (No restrict)||Slovakia (400)||Taiwan (5000)||United Kingdom (1000)|
You do not want a Japanese contact, and don’t even have to know Japanese to get this visa: Folks between 18 and 30 (18 to 25 for Australia, Canada and South Korea) are eligible to use. The utmost stick with this visa is one 12 months (6 months for Australia, however extendable). The visa could be renewed relying on which nation you might be from. Holders are additionally prohibited from working in nightclubs and related institutions.
Visa waiver program
It’s also attainable to enter Japan with no visa. As of December 2014, there are 67 nations which have visa waiver preparations with Japan, underneath which nationals of these nations might enter Japan with no visa. The permitted keep ranges from 15 days to 90 days relying on the customer’s nationality: the most typical interval is 90 days. Nevertheless, a visa waiver bars the customer from participating in “paid actions” inside Japan.
A lot of foreigners keep in Japan for prolonged intervals with no visa by leaving and re-entering Japan each three months. Whereas this isn’t technically unlawful, it’s frowned upon by immigration officers, and a few foreigners who try it are quickly detained once they return to Japan.
Flying to Japan
Japan has three most important worldwide airports: Narita Airport (NRT) close to Tokyo, Kansai Airport (KIX) close to Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto, and Chubu Centrair Airport (NGO) close to Nagoya. Intercontinental flights to Japan are mainly restricted to those airports, with the majority of the service utilizing Narita. Nevertheless, many smaller airports in Japan have direct service to main cities in East Asia. Incheon Airport (ICN) in Korea is a very good connecting level for accessing smaller Japanese cities from Europe or the Americas.
Revealed airfares to Japan (corresponding to these provided by airline web sites) are typically fairly excessive, significantly fares on the 2 nationwide airways, JAL and ANA. For cheaper fares, your finest guess is to discover a Japanese journey company in your native space. These brokers have a tendency to purchase seats in bulk at minimize charges, and might subsequently supply very low fares as compared with the airways.
What to convey
Japan is a really superior nation, and you will discover absolutely anything you want there. Don’t be concerned about packing each each day necessity. Listed below are some objects it is best to be sure you convey:
- Money or vacationers’ checks. Wiring cash to Japan or accessing your overseas account from a Japanese ATM could be costly, each attributable to financial institution charges and extensive trade fee spreads. As a substitute, it is best to convey some cash with you to Japan and convert it into yen on the airport. Airport foreign money kiosks in Japan are likely to have the perfect trade charges and will not cost you further charges. There isn’t a authorized restrict to how a lot you may convey, however if you’re on a pupil or trainee visa, you’ll have to declare the quantity to Immigration.
- Energy adapters when you’ve got electronics. Japan makes use of 100V shops. These are similar to American 110V shops, however there are only a few three-prong shops in Japan, so even Individuals might want to convey an adapter for any gadgets which require one. Some objects, corresponding to plug-in clocks, won’t work correctly until they had been designed for 50 Hz. Laptops, cameras and different objects constructed for 110V are often advantageous in Japan.
- Items. Small objects from your house nation are a wonderful thought. You do not have to go overboard: just a few keychains, fridge magnets or postcards will do. Persons are typically inquisitive about the place you come from, and a small reward may help construct a relationship with them.
You’ll find a full checklist of what to convey, what you *might* convey, and what NOT to convey right here.
What NOT to convey
Narita Airport Customs has a reasonably thorough information of what you completely can not convey into Japan:
- Medicine. Unlawful medication are, in fact, proper out. You must also keep away from bringing Vicks inhalers or Sudafed, as these medication are thought-about to be unlawful stimulants in Japan.
- Pornography. Japan has a thriving porn trade, however it’s nonetheless unlawful to point out an individual’s genitalia in Japan, and any objects you may have containing frontal nudity can be confiscated if Customs finds them.
- Firearms and firearm elements (together with ammunition) can’t be introduced into the nation.
- Counterfeit articles, together with cash and designer items, could also be confiscated if Customs finds them.